EuroLeague Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group B - Great Britain Roster

+3
Richyyy
hersey427
Paulball Nilsen
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Group B - Great Britain Roster - Page 2 Empty Re: Group B - Great Britain Roster

Post  Paulball Nilsen Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Agreed! Very Happy

Wade-Frey the biggest omission
Paulball Nilsen
Paulball Nilsen

Back to top Go down

Group B - Great Britain Roster - Page 2 Empty Re: Group B - Great Britain Roster

Post  JohnyK Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am

Janeya Wade-Fray was left out because of a torn ACL. GB is also two reserves shorter as Mairi Buchan and Sarah Naylor are also out.

GB preliminary roster as of now: Rose Anderson, Kim Butler, Kate Butters, Stef Collins, Jo Clayden, Steph Gandy, Chantelle Handy, Meagan Hoffman, Jo Leedham, Ros Mason, Yemi Oyefuwa, Julie Page, Natalie Stafford, Azania Stewart, Lauren Thomas-Johnson, Rachel Vanderwall.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_De6yV2drHkEoSExJefITB1.articleMode_on.html

I guess it would have been nice for Buchan to get some games with the big girls under her belt this summer, after winning the U20 B division last summer.
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 am

Yeah, nice of them to finally let us know about Wade-Frey. Adding Hoffman and Clayden is a complete waste of time because Maher already picked Stafford over Hoffman as the naturalised player (and the guard corps is even weaker this year, making Stafford even more necessary), and Clayden is just rubbish. Buchan basically hasn't played since that U-20s success, so I'm not sure why they put her in the squad in the first place if she hadn't proven that she'd recovered.

Maher clearly really, really doesn't want to involve Georgia Jones.

A decent guard, a decent guard; my kingdom for a decent guard...

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  hersey427 Sun May 01, 2011 12:57 am

I'm at a loss as to why Georgia's not in the squad affraid She's fit and willing to play. If she's being "punished" for not playing last summer it's out of order - she was injured.

I didn't know we were so strong that we could afford to leave a player of her talent out.

The inclusion of Hoffman makes me wonder if there's some kind of issue with Stafford.

hersey427

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 am

JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 am

From what I keep reading it doesn't look like Jo Leedham will have much, if any, time to practice with the team and it's not certain she'll be ready in time. GB's chances to get a win in the tournament are plummeting. Neutral
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 am

Didn't look like there was anything wrong with her during layup and shooting drills in warmups today, no obvious hindrance to her movement, no visible strapping or braces on any limbs or anything like that. Then she just wasn't one of the players announced to play in the game and stayed sat on the bench as a cheerleader throughout. We'll see if that continues through this mini-tournament and the rest of the build-up games.

Germany won a pretty diabolical game 70-60, by the way. I didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to stick around through the 3 1/2-hour gap in the middle of nowhere for the Cuba-Latvia game later on.

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  hersey427 Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 am

The Cuba game was a lot better. Considering they were straight off the plane, they looked really good. We'll see what jet-lag's done to them today.

As German & Latvia were willing to play on Wednesday, it might have been better if they'd played a friendly before unleashing that on an unsuspecting public! But they'll get better, and Leedham appears to be sitting out as a precaution.

The Cuba game had to be 8pm because of thir flight, but at a loss as to whiy GB couldn't have tipped at 5pm.

And I still haven't met you Richyy!

hersey427

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Fri May 20, 2011 12:17 pm

hersey427 wrote:And I still haven't met you Richyy!
Well I couldn't face the trek out there again today (seriously, two hours each way and £20 in tickets to get there from West London. I'm amazed anyone makes it to these games who doesn't just live in Guildford), but I should be there tomorrow. I'd expect to be the only one in the crowd wearing a Teresa Weatherspoon throwback (a.k.a. 'old') WNBA jersey, so feel free to come say hello.

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 am

Well hmm. It still looks a work in progress, which I suppose is reasonable considering these were the first of our warmup games. Leedham again did the warmup drills yesterday before not playing, and our perimeter game desperately needs her back. There's not much threat outside and that only makes things more difficult for the likes of Page, Butler and Stewart down low, who are doing their best but can only do so much. Natalie Stafford carried us from outside yesterday, but she can't be counted on to do that game in and game out. Yemi Oyefuwa never took part in a drill, a warmup, a stretch or a shot, so is presumably injured again, while Jo Clayden appears to be there as a glorified extra assistant coach, which means the squad practically picks itself at this point. No sign of Megan Hoffman either.

Leaves us with:

Collins/Vanderwal
Stafford/Thomas-Johnson
Leedham (hopefully)/Handy
Page/Mason
Butler/Stewart

Two spots left; assuming Gandy counts as naturalised and hence can't play when Stafford is, and Oyefuwa's injured, it'll be Rose Anderson and Kate Butters, neither of whom will ever set foot on the floor. And if we bother to take 14, it'll be Gandy (assuming that's allowed) and Clayden/Oyefuwa (who really won't play).

Thomas-Johnson looks good enough that you wonder why she was cut last year - quick and aggressive, if sometimes out of control and a little shot-happy, but a more than adequate replacement for Wade-Frey. Ros Mason just isn't a 4, even though that seemed to be where she came in. If that's where she plays in club basketball, it's yet another comical indictment of the British league. Page/Butler/Stewart is basically a three-player rotation for the two post spots, and Handy's a far more realistic backup to slide over as an emergency PF than Mason. Use Ros as a 2/3 and she might help, but she's a waste of space on this roster as a 4.

So anyway, not exactly a glorious start, but I'm not slashing my wrists just yet either. Work still to do, and prayers to be sent up for Leedham's knees, but there's signs of an eventually serviceable squad there somewhere.

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 am

What I saw live from Britain yesterday...

Leedham has a nice shooting touch but wasn't able get to the rim (not that I know if she has the ability to constantly get to the rim). Stafford was invisible - that probably won't happen too much during Eurobasket. I like the post duo of Page and Buttler on offense (the latter couldn't hit anything but at least got some nice looks), but on defense they weren't able to close out on our bigs who can hit the shot from outside (that's almost all of them except one) - will be interesting to see how they fare against Belarus who have post players with similar skill set. Stewart had issues with playing against our 4th and 5th, on the depth chart, post players. Ros Mason - let's just say she didn't look better than at the Dream game, except then she stopped after the first couple of misses. Everybody else was just forgettable. I expected GB to play better in the 4th quarter than they did against our 2010 U20 team who sucked but took the opponents with them.

I would have gone to GB's todays game against Slovakia but it's not open to general public - Maher vs Hejkova would have been interesting.
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:24 am

Yeah, we're wildly inconsistent. Seems like whichever night you happen to catch us on, you could come away with a decent impression of any of about eight different players. The problems occur when none of them show up.

I've grown to love our Page/Butler post duo (two of our more consistent performers, generally), but neither is that big or that quick. Closing out on bigs who can stretch the floor is made easier if you've got at least one of those. Stewart's hit or miss - sometimes she's an energy boost and her extra length helps the defense, sometimes she's just lost. Mason still seems to be playing the 4, which is just stupid.

Maybe Israel will pull out in protest over that girl who isn't being allowed to wear her t-shirt? That'd get us to the second round...

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 am

GB roster set: http://www.mvp247.com/2011/06/gb-women-squad-euros/

Julie Page (capt.), Nat Stafford, Stef Collins, Kim Butler, Johannah Leedham, Chantelle Handy, Rachel Vanderwal, Azania Stewart, Lauren Thomas-Johnson, Ros Mason, Rose Anderson, Kate Butters
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:28 am

So the 12 that I said were becoming increasingly obvious about a month ago then. Not much mystery with GB Women.

Jeez, what would people be saying over at Reb's if a final WNBA squad only had three post players? This team even gets 12 instead of 11, and still can't find anyone after Page/Butler/Stewart. Mason doesn't count. And the really scary thing is that we're probably stronger inside than outside.

Can you tell that I've grown increasingly pessimistic about our chances as the preparation has gone on?

Richyyy

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:41 am

On the bright side it's not like Israel has been good during the preparations.
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2