Eurobasket 2011 discussions

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Eurobasket 2011 discussions

Post  Lorely on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks, I never noticed Embarassed
So I guess France should have given back the ball to be fairplay (not that they're not already giving the ball to Spain way too much)
Lorely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah, I agree with Jeff Taylor - this is payback for WC's for the French.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm afraid from our game with Spain. Our coach has already said he won't use some of our starters the minutes they had played earlier - in that case it could get ugly pretty fast.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorely on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 pm

JohnyK wrote:Yeah, I agree with Jeff Taylor - this is payback for WC's for the French.

So do I. France fell flat in the 4th quarter then in OT during the Worlds' QF, this time, not so much:

Lorely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 am

Who decides which is the game of the day? I've got nothing against Poland and Croatia but c'mon - the surprise team of the tournament Montenegro versus the current champions have to be THE game of the night.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorely on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 am

Got to show some love for the hosts while it's still possible Laughing
I'm definitively more interested in the other 2 games though.
Lorely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanpak on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 am

hahahahahahaha game of the day lol! the worst game of the tournament, this is the reason jocolor

i am so so ashamed. Embarassed

kanpak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh, man Russia doesn't want to finish fourth in their group.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 pm

JohnyK wrote:Oh, man Russia doesn't want to finish fourth in their group.
They'd probably prefer it to fifth, which is still an option.

Richyyy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Richyyy wrote:
JohnyK wrote:Oh, man Russia doesn't want to finish fourth in their group.
They'd probably prefer it to fifth, which is still an option.

That would just prolong their agony. As of right now I'm so skeptical about their chances that I'd bet that they won't make the Olympics.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:44 am

Wow, Vanderwal, how about knowing the rules of the game you're playing...
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 am

JohnyK wrote:Wow, Vanderwal, how about knowing the rules of the game you're playing...
I'm gonna take a wild guess that this post was about that time where the ball bounced inbounds and then she just walked out of bounds and caught it before it hit anything. And yes, that was stunningly dumb.

It's ridiculous, we only took three post players to this tournament, and yet we're way, way weaker at the guard spots.

Richyyy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 am

I thought we had the worst ball movement in the tournament. Luckily I hadn't paid enough attention to GB, unless there's a breakdown on defense, it's ugly and very low percentage.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 am

In fairness it's low percentage at least as much because we have so few players who can actually shoot the ball, as it's due to the lack of ball movement.

Richyyy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:29 am

Those guards are also slow which lessens the % because there's always someone in front of them with hands in their faces. I really hope everyone on that team will get to play some pro ball (except those in the NCAA) next season. I'd hate to see an European team battling it out with African teams to not stay last in the standings.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:56 am

Oh come on, be fair. We were desperately unlucky not to beat Lithuania two days ago, who are tied for top in this group, and just lost another tight one with Turkey. It's not like we've been embarrassed in this tournament.

Richyyy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 am

But Olympic Tournament isn't the same as Eurobasket or even Worlds. There are only 12 teams - Australia, USA and most likely 5 from Europe. That's 7 of 11 opponents they'll lose to on 98 of 100 games. Which leaves them with Asian, African, American champions and the only non-Euro team that will go through the qualifiers.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:02 am

Czech Republic looks seriously out of sync and it's not like Russia is doing something extraordinary against them.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Basket_MNE on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:56 am

JohnyK wrote:Czech Republic looks seriously out of sync and it's not like Russia is doing something extraordinary against them.

yeah, but don't forget... Russia was the finalist of the last chamionship and is still one of the favorites of the tournament. The CZE was 'only' 9th.

It's not that I'm bragging now, but I totally enjoyed in last night match between Montenegro (my team Smile ) and France. Quality basketball and the best match of the tournament even if the match wasn't the "Match of the day" LOL Very Happy
Basket_MNE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Russia was very close of not advancing past the quarterfinal that year. I don't think past accomplishments matter that much. Otherwise, for example, Israel wouldn't have been so hopeless in all their losses in the group stages.

Anyways congrats on the spectacular play of Montenegro, I'm still a tad skeptical about them because of no bench and the fact that it's the first time I see them play but they keep making me scratch my head in amazement.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Basket_MNE on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:16 pm

JohnyK wrote:
Anyways congrats on the spectacular play of Montenegro, I'm still a tad skeptical about them because of no bench and the fact that it's the first time I see them play but they keep making me scratch my head in amazement.

You're right. The coach knows that. That's why I expect Latvia to win tommorow, because Baletic will rest most of the players and Latvia is one of the best teams in Europe. To be honest, I didn't expect them to play this good, especially not after Ana Baletic injured in the first match and won't play in the tournament at all. And she's one of our best players. That's like Nikola Pekovic is out for our men's team (can't wait the Eurobasket in Lithuania!).

A few minutes ago:
Lithuania - Belarus 68:50

Lithuania is a strong team. If we pass, I wouldn't them in the semis.
Basket_MNE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richyyy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 pm

JohnyK wrote:But Olympic Tournament isn't the same as Eurobasket or even Worlds. There are only 12 teams - Australia, USA and most likely 5 from Europe. That's 7 of 11 opponents they'll lose to on 98 of 100 games. Which leaves them with Asian, African, American champions and the only non-Euro team that will go through the qualifiers.
And in games against Turkey and Lithuania we've shown we can compete with a lot of the European teams that will qualify - plus we'll have home advantage in 2012 (although god knows what kind of crowds we're going to get). I don't think we'll disgrace ourselves or look horribly out of place, which seems to be what you're worried about.

Also, man, we're a vastly better offensive team when Leedham's involved. If we can keep her healthy through to 2012 it's massive for this team. Really can't afford to lose Page, Butler or Stewart either, of course.

Richyyy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 am

If Spain beat Croatia, I have a feeling that Czech Republic - Lithuania game will be a game where no one wants to win.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Basket_MNE on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:49 am

JohnyK wrote:If Spain beat Croatia, I have a feeling that Czech Republic - Lithuania game will be a game where no one wants to win.

Becasue of France?
I think that will be an awesome match. But they will have to win they want to avoid France, I guess...

If Latvia loses tonight (and Spain wins), France is second (if they look at the total point difference). Correct me if I'm wrong. Then according to the point difference, Latvia and Spain will be placed 3rd or 4th. But if Latvia wins tonight, then France is 3rd and Spain 4th for sure. In that case, the team who loses the match Czech R - Lithuania will go on France. I would like to see the second situation. That would be a crazy match...
Basket_MNE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 am

Unless Croatia beats Spain, everyone from Group E will want to play against Latvia. Odds are Latvia will finish 3rd in the group.
JohnyK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next