EuroLeague Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011?

+2
Lorely
Paulball Nilsen
6 posters

Go down

What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011? Empty What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011?

Post  Paulball Nilsen Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I am not too sure what to expect, other than an enjoyable tournament of course!

I am always interested in Great Britain because of course they are my home country and will be making history but it will be really tough for them. Leedham, Page and Butler will have to play really well! I think Israel is their best shot but Belarus and Czech Republic leave them with little chance!

Overall it is going to be a great tournament I think and also quite open!
Paulball Nilsen
Paulball Nilsen

Back to top Go down

What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011? Empty Re: What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011?

Post  Lorely Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm standing behind my home country and the defending champions: France. They could have easily won the Bronze medal in the World Championship had they been able to finish against Spain. And they were without Gruda and Gromis, 2 key players.

Other team to watch, always contenders, Russia. As you can know from my All-star voting, there are quiet a few Russian players that I love to watch on the court.
Lorely
Lorely

Back to top Go down

What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011? Empty Re: What Are You All Expecting At EuroBasket Women 2011?

Post  Paulball Nilsen Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, I think it is true that France have to be considered as the main team and for sure, Russia will be there too challenging!

I think the interesting factors for me will be how the likes of those teams with different types of challenges will react. By this I mean

Great Britain - Can they cope at this level?
Poland - Can they shrug off pressure as hosts and perform?
Czech Republic - Can they use momentum from WC?

Lots of great things to discuss
Paulball Nilsen
Paulball Nilsen

Back to top Go down

Post  MarisNoviks Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Regarding locations - Katowice is a good place for basketball, don`t know about Bydgoszcz and Lodz so far. It`s a pity that TriCity - Gdynia, Sopot, Gdansk - missed the event. Fan culture in Poland is well developed so no problems here.

Let`s see if Russia can rebound after the fall in Czech Republic. Overall I think that France has more chances to succeed especially if all players are healthy and available.
MarisNoviks
MarisNoviks

http://www.sportacentrs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnyK Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm expecting Anete Jēkabsone-Žogota to postpone her arrival in Connecticut at least until mid-July. If that's not the case I won't be totally devastated because all of our girls seem to be having good seasons in Europe this winter but it still won't be the same.

About other teams:
Belarus - will be interesting how their Basketball Federation will respond to the players demands for a a better treatment.
Czech Republic - the last few Eurobasket Women tournaments haven't been the best for them. Also the conditioning - most of their top players won't have a rest (barring an injury) since the July or August when they started preparing for the Worlds.
Slovakia - with Pokey leaving them I'm not expecting much fro them. It seems it takes time for a team to play well under a new coach.
Lithuania - I like what VICI is doing but with the addition of 3 starters and under a different coach will that carry over to Eurobasket?
Great Britain - hey, Paul, I'm curious where are the other players than the 3 already mentioned of GB playing? Britain? Australia? Will they be overwhelmed by the whole experience?
Russia - I hope they choose Prince not Hammon this time. Also a shame that the young players from their great U20 teams make so little impact on the senior national team.
Israel - They seem to me really small, so how will they play against such bigs as Leuchanka, Verameyenka, Kulichova, Vesela from their group or Petronyte, Stepanova, Yilmaz if they want to make the quarterfinals?
Greece - If they manage to add Katie Douglas they should become instant contenders for at least the semifinals.
France - Great coach, outstanding players. Should be among contenders..
Spain - the same as France.
Poland - if the team won't feel pressure from playing at home and will feed from the crowd energy, they should be in the mix.
Turkey - I always have high hopes for them and they always let me down. So this time let's start by taking a step at a time and make it out of the group A.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone but I can't remember who it was.
JohnyK
JohnyK

Back to top Go down

Post  neozepron Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Turkey tried 35 players on Ceyhun Yıldızoğlu's period. This gets some problems. we didn't use tempo in basketball after 2005. if we play like 2005, we can qualify olympic games

neozepron

http://neo.bayanbasket.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulball Nilsen Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 am

We have missed another history maker along with GB in Montenegro who will be realy dark horses.

I think they can do some serious damage in this tournament for sure!

They have some real ELW experience with Bjelica, Skerovic, Dubljevic etc...

In terms of Great Britain players, they are really spread around. From College to a couple in ELW and a few in the decent leagues around Europe but to be honest, I think GB showed when they won in Slovak Republic they are more about the collective team than having a lot of great individuals.

I guess this thread will build with momentum ahead of the Championship Very Happy
Paulball Nilsen
Paulball Nilsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulball Nilsen Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:09 am

I think we missed Croatia and Latvia too!!
Paulball Nilsen
Paulball Nilsen

Back to top Go down

Post  LD79 Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 am

I think its going to be between France and Spain since Russia have been inconsistent recently but you can never rule them out of course.The Czech Republic fed alot of the home crowd at the World's so it will be intresting to see how they will do.Great Britain although I'm supporting them I think it will be difficult for them to get through maybe the toughest group but having a very experienced coach like Maher you never know.

LD79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down